Friday, January 27, 2012

Sinful Colors Winterberry


Winter harvest- Winterberry
Sinful Colors Winterberry from the 2011 Destination America collection
Sinful Colors is a brand that does not get enough attention in my opinion. I have to give them credit for offering such an exceptional range of colors at such an affordable price point. When I was first getting back into polish, this was my go to drug store brand- it was a nice way to experiment with new colors without dropping a fortune. I do have mixed feelings on the fact that most of their collections are OPI knock offs. For example, today’s polish, Winterberry, came from the Destination America collection, a knock off of OPI’s Touring America collection. I am also slightly disappointed that it seems that the colors in their collection are often re-promotes of core color instead of new colors. That said, I’m still happy enough where I still purchase them. I have no complaints on the bottle, and unlike some inexpensive drug store brands, the brushes are decent and of consistent quality (Wet’n’Wild, I’m looking at you!).
Winterberry was a color worth buying, as it was not a re-promote, and I don’t have anything identical to it in my collection. I would describe the color as a dusty grape with hint of silver shimmer. It is a lovely crème that started out easy to apply.  What do I mean by started out? Well, the first coat of this polish went on with no issues, virtually no clean up, it was so very nice! Then, when I started my second coat, I noticed the polish had become kind of goopy, like it was already seizing up a bit. I ended up using thicker coats to make it easier to paint with- that was a bad idea. The thicker coat never completely dried and resulted in some bubbles. I was able to doctor it up, but it was so disappointing that such a lovely color which initially such easy application did not end as well as I expected.



I thinned the polish and will use it again only because I liked the color so much.
What is your favorite drug store polish brand?
How do you deal with bubbling polish?

2 comments:

  1. SO pretty and your pictures are really nice! Am a new follower-just found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm still working on my photography skills... Glad you found me, and thanks so much for becoming a follower!

      Delete